Thursday, December 30, 2021

My Review of Joachim Trier's THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD

 

When I first heard that there was a movie entitled The Worst Person in the World, I thought it was an intriguing title. You don't quite know what to expect from a movie with such a title.

I could almost envision it as some kind of R-rated Judd Apatow comedy that would be reminiscent of the criminally underrated and now ended FX series You're the Worst. 

Instead, I was little bewildered when I discovered that it was considered a romantic dramedy about a young female Millennial navigating through life whether that be not knowing which career path or major in college to choose or not knowing what man she wants to be with.

It even seemed stranger to have that title paired with the movie poster. See below:


On top of this, the film was a huge success at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival where its star, Renate Reinsve, won the Best Actress Prize. 

With this pedigree, I was very interested in viewing the film along with the fact that it was considered the final installment of Norwegian filmmaker Joachim Trier's "OSLO" Trilogy which had consisted of Reprise and Oslo, 31 August which were both very well-made films.

It was a close call, but I think The Worst Person in the World serves as Trier's finest work to date as he delivers a film that felt so real and cathartic while also feeling almost fantastical and surreal in others.

The film is split up into 12 chapters plus a prologue and epilogue. 


Renate Reinsve plays Julie, who is a medical student living in Oslo who suddenly has an epiphany and decides to major in Psychology. However, not long after having this epiphany, she soon realizes that maybe she will take up photography.

While at a party with her boyfriend, she encounters acclaimed graphic novelist Aksel (Anders Danielsen Lee, whom Trier has used in his previous films) and despite their 15-year age difference, they hit it off and end up sleeping together.

Soon after, we see Julie and Aksel have remained a couple and that she is now trying to pursue a writing career as well. Aksel is ready to settle down and have a family, but Julie isn't so sure she is ready for that. 

On a whim, Julie crashes a party after attending a publishing event with Aksel and encounters a young barista named Eivind (Herbert Nordrum) and despite both being involved with people, they spend the night together even though they don't officially cheat...at least not at first.

From there, Julie sort of seems to go into a spiral of sorts as to who she wants and what she wants out of life.


The Worst Person in the World just feels very honest and open about how it wants to portray relationships...especially in today's society. Julie is a character we may not always agree with...or perhaps a character we may see ourselves in for better or for worse...but you still have a desire to see her happy. You want her to find bliss and her sense of self...and I think a lot of the success of that is due to Trier's work and also that of Reinsve. I had never heard of Reinsve prior to this film but if there were any justice in the world, she would get an Oscar nomination and contend for a win with this performance. 

I did relate to Julie in some ways. I am at a point where I feel fairly lost in various aspects of my life and that I don't know how certain things may pan out. I will also say I haven't made some of the best choices...but I don't shame myself for some of them. I don't think Julie as a character should either. 

You could say that when you do something bad that you might just immediately jump to the old adage: "Oh no, I feel like the worst person in the world".

Odds are, you probably aren't.

And Julie isn't either.


If I were to nitpick anything with this movie, they probably could've trimmed a smidge off the running time to help the pacing, plus I have some mixed feelings about the ending. Still though, I found this movie to be a rewarding experience that left me thinking about my own life and what I should try to aim for in the coming decade...or if I want to be a little more realistic, the coming year. 

I am glad I watched this movie on 12/30/2021 because it does serve as a nice boost as we approach the beginning of 2022.

In addition to that Oscar nom that I would send towards Renate Reinsve, this film should also get nominations for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay. 

Very few movies have truly made me feel rather cathartic in a way that this one has. It might not have been perfect, but it is great when a movie can make you feel very alive and take stock in your own life and your goals.

So, for that...

THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD is rated as follows:

RATING: 5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment

AN SNL REVIEW: Season 6 - Episode 6: Ray Sharkey/Jack Bruce & Friends

 1981 was quite the year for the country and for SNL. That January, Ronald Reagan was sworn in....cue the horror... That April, he was nearl...