Monday, January 3, 2022

My Review of Mike Mills' C'MON C'MON (Starring Joaquin Phoenix)

It is always something of a miracle when you watch a film that you expected to be good, but it ends up surprising you as being something more.

Mike Mills has always been a truly compassionate filmmaker, but he has managed to give his warmest, sweetest, and best work to date with C'mon C'mon. This may sound a little cheap, but it is the prime example of being a film in which it seems like nothing is happening and everything is happening all at once.

Joaquin Phoenix plays Johnny, a documentarian who is currently working on a film interviewing children from all across the country. While in Detroit, he calls his sister Viv (Gaby Hoffman); they haven't spoken for the past year since their mother's death from dementia. Viv asks Johnny if he can come to Los Angeles and watch her nine-year-old son Jesse (Woody Norman), as she has to travel to Oakland to care for her estranged husband Paul struggling with Bipolar. Johnny agrees, and he and Jesse quickly forge a bond despite Jesse's obnoxious personality and Johnny's unwillingness to talk about his own life.

When it becomes apparent that Viv won't be able to come back when she expected, Johnny asks Jesse if he would like to go back to New York with him. He is excited at the prospect, but Viv is apprehensive at first. 

While in New York, the two start to experience the rougher moments but also still manage to build a relationship they never really had.

I cannot even begin to express how much I loved watching Phoenix and Norman interact. It goes without saying that Joaquin Phoenix is one of the greatest actors working today and here, he gives such a subtle and truly lovely performance. Considering this basically his follow-up to Joker, it just goes to show what range he has. I suppose you could say he is more in the Her territory here in terms of style.

Gaby Hoffman, who recently had a bit of a career resurgence on Transparent after being a child star in the 90s, is also fantastic as Viv. She more than holds her own against Phoenix when they share the screen, and she provides such a tired and harried energy that works perfectly for her character.

Though as much as these two wowed me, I have to commend the young Woody Norman. 

I say this with confidence: Woody Norman gives one of the best performances by a child I have ever seen in a film. He is so real and honest and quirky and funny and sweet and his chemistry with Phoenix is simply impeccable.

On top of this, Phoenix and his team in the film actually do interview real children which also gives us moments in which the film does turn into a quasi-documentary. This additional authenticity only added to my complete joy of watching the film. 

The fact that this film is barely getting any kind of buzz or awards attention is simply a shame...but I do feel like time will be kind to this movie. In my world, I would nominate it across the board.

I honestly don't know if I want to say much else.

I feel like I could go on forever to the point of rambling. The film doesn't deserve a ramble...even if it's message would lead me to believe that is okay to ramble.

It was beautiful.

It was the definition of warmth.

Just watch it.

I hope you agree with me.

RATING: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

AN SNL REVIEW: Season 6 - Episode 6: Ray Sharkey/Jack Bruce & Friends

 1981 was quite the year for the country and for SNL. That January, Ronald Reagan was sworn in....cue the horror... That April, he was nearl...